Neighborhoods Ephesus is full of interesting historical sites. One of them is the House of the Virgin Mary. It is located on the mountain 6 km from Ancient Ephesus. The road there is narrow and winding, so you will need 15-20 minutes, to drive.
Territory, on which the House of the Virgin Mary, is small, but very comfortable and well appointed, despite the large number of pilgrims and tourists. There is always quiet. Inside the house, make photos is FORBIDDEN.
Except for the chapel, in the territory are two more interesting places:
1) “Three sources”, water comes out of the church. This water is considered healing and holy, so many of her drink and take away with you in bottles.
2) Wall desires. Next to it you can make a wish and tie a handkerchief (or ribbon). It's said, that all the good wishes come true.
Mentions in the sacred books
1) According to the Gospel, before, Jesus left the earth, he left his mother to the care of St.John the Evangelist (“My son, this is your mother”).
2) In the book “Lives of the Apostles” states, that after the ascension of Jesus Christ in Jerusalem, began a crackdown, and John the Evangelist went to Ephesus, where he lived until his death (he was buried in Ephesus).
3) In 431 year in the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Ephesus held Ecumenical Council, which recognized her divine motherhood.
Home, where she was Blessed Virgin Mary, was discovered by a German nun's visions of Anna Catherine Emmerich (1774-1824), who was bedridden with incurable illness and in Ephesus was never. In summer 1891 , the first expedition with the help of local residents found the ruined church on top of the mountain (the foundation is dated I-III century AD). In 1950 was completed restoration works (now it's chapel), and the house of the Virgin became available to everyone.
Officially, the Vatican has not recognized the building how the house of the Virgin Mary, but this place visited the Pope three times : Paul VI in 1967 year, John Paul II 1979 year and Benedict XVI 2006 year.
Operation time – from 8 up to 18 hours.
Ticket – 20 TL per person (museum cards accepted).
House of the Virgin Mary on the map
Text and photos: Evgeny Nazarenko