Kesik Minaret represents the ruins of the ancient mosque and minaret situated in the southern part of the Old town (Kaleici) in Antalya. The territory is hedged, it is forbidden to come in. The wreck can be observed through the fence only.
Originally Kesik Minaret was built as a Roman temple in the 2nd century C.E. But in the 5th century in was transformed into the Byzantine basilica with three square naves (arched halls separated by columns). The construction of the church was modified during X- XIV centuries.
When the Seljuk inhabited Antalya Kesik Minaret was transformed into the mosque. There was a minaret with one balcony built in the north-western part of the mosque by Shehzade (Prince) Korkut (1470-1509) who was the son of the reining sultan of the Ottoman Empire Bayazid II. In 1896 the mosque was totally destroyed by the fire. And only in 1974 the north-western part of the mosque was renovated.
There is a cozy restaurant next to Kesik Minaret where you can relax and precisely observe the elements of this antique building.
Location of Kesik Minaret in the map
Text: Evgeny Nazarenko