Mamure Castle – one of the best preserved Crusader castles on the Mediterranean coast in Turkey.
The castle is located directly on the sandy beach near the town of Anamur (Mersin province), in 280 km from the A and 130 km from Alanyi. Also noteworthy, that up in a straight line all o.Kipr 75 km.
Fortress consists of three interconnected fortification:
1) The inner fortress (turk. Citadel), lived commandant and military authorities.
2) outer fortress (turk. Outside the castle), preserved ruins of a mosque and hamam.
3) Courtyard (turk. Inside the courtyard), the main tower for many years served as a beacon.
Ticket, used today, It is not the main entrance to the castle. Home front door is located in the north of the courtyard between the two towers. Directly opposite the entrance 10-meter moat lies Axle, it is currently dilapidated.
architecture – just the facts
1) The fortress covers an area of 23500 m2
2) The length of the outer walls of the fortress 580 m
3) The structure is part of the fortress 39 towers.
4) A small area of the fortress from the sea and the entire northern part of (from the highway) protected moat.
A little history
Mamure castle It was built by the Romans 2000 years ago and over time periodically being completed “new” its owners. Given the location of the fortress (total 47 miles from o.Kipr), it is a long time served as an outpost of the Byzantine. However, during the Crusades served .
– 1190 – the fortress became a part of the Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia, It was rebuilt by its rulers (Cilicia King Levon II essentially rebuilt the castle), It was the base of the Crusaders during the Crusades.
– 1221 – the fortress was captured by the Seljuk Turks and the Sultan Ala-ud-din Kayqubad I. He also rebuilt the fortress – appeared 39 towers, and on the north side of the main entrance (from the land) We dug a moat.
– 1308 – after the collapse of the Seljuk Sultanate castle was captured Karaman Bey (Karamanidı) Badr al-Din Mahmut.
This is evidenced by a sign on the wall above the main entrance to the fortress. By the way the tablet itself appeared during another RESTORATION in 1450 during the reign of one of the last rulers beylik Karamanids. Just at that time, the castle got its present name “Mamure”, which means "prosperous".
– 1475 – Ottomans seized the fortress (Mehmet II Conqueror), they, too, something changed, and since the appearance of the fortress has survived to the present day.
– 18 century – Fortress serves as a caravanserai.
– 1878 – the castle was a military garrison, his barracks were here throughout the First World War.
– 1960-x – It began the restoration of the castle.
Note: currently castle restoration, entrance to the castle is closed. However, by the sea, you can climb to the ramparts and get into the fortress.
Text and photos: Evgeny Nazarenko