Selge (turk. Selge) – the ancient city of Pisidia, it is situated 100 km from Antalya in Manavgat Province in the Taurus mountains at 1250 m altitude.
Selge it located at 11 km from of canyon in the village of Altinkaya and is part of the National Park Koprulu Canyon Milli Park (Koprulu Canyon National Park).
It should immediately be noted, the road from Koprulu Canyon up to Selge enough winding, but very beautiful – extraordinary landscapes fascinate, so drivers have a hard time ))
After, as you get to the Altinkaya village, you need to carefully look around to find the amphitheater, because pointers are not there. To amphitheater leads a very narrow rocky road, there will be no problems with car, but you can go on foot 200 meters, leaving the car along the good asphalt road.
Interestingly, it is worth someone's private home in front of the amphitheater, in whose garden was formerly Agora square 50x50 m.
Antique amphitheater in Selge is not small – it is targeted at 10 thousands of spectators and has 45 rows, representing lower (30 rows) and top (15 rows) galleries, separated by a wide diazoma. Theater is so, that with almost any point has a beautiful local landscape.
In Selge in addition to the amphitheater and the agora you can see the ruins of the castle walls, stadium (In a bad condition), the ruins of the basilica and the temple of Zeus.
A bit of historical facts about Selge
– The city was founded prophet Koolhaas after the Trojan War
– In 333 y. BC. the city opened gates to Alexander the Great and did not resist, unlike other cities of Pisidia, as Termessos and Sagalassos
– In V century BC. Selge was minted the first coin in Pisidia
– In 25 BC. the city became part of the Roman Empire
– In VII century BC. because of frequent attacks of the Arabs and the transfer of trade routes Selge comes to a complete standstill, еhe townspeople left the city.
Selge on the Map
Text: Evgeny Nazarenko